Thursday, November 30, 2006

That Guy

I don’t want to be That Guy.

Every so often, I come across a blog entry from a woman talking about That Guy.

That Guy is the guy who messages on you on MySpace, saying the same thing over and over again: “Wazzup? Holla back! lol” "Baby, you looking HOT! hahaha" "I ain't infected, swear to God!". This the guy who pokes you incessantly on MySpace, hoping that you'll find it cute and poke him back. You don't poke him, but you do write about him on your blog.

That Guy is the dude at the club who tried to sneak up behind you and “dance”. By "dance", I mean "dry-hump". Usually he reeks of cigarette smoke and fruity drinks that he bought for other girls, only to have them thrown back at his face. He's loud. He's pushy. He persistent. And he ends up on your blog.

That Guy is the friend of another friend who may or may not be interested in you. You have no idea. And the both of you stay in this ambiguity for...ever. He annoys you. And you write about it on your xanga.
That Guy is the guy you went on a date with, and the whole time, he had a full-on booger creeping in and out of his nose. It was all you could think about. And you put it on your blog. With pics from your camera phone that you took when he wasn't looking.

You get the idea.

So what am I saying? Do all women bloggers complain about That Guy? Hey, I'm not saying it bothers me. I encourage it. The more I hear about That Guy, the more I know how NOT to be like That Guy. I don't ever wanna be the guy that draws a woman's ire and annoyance, so much so that she posts it all for the world to see. That's why I try to live the most inoffensive life possible, never stepping on anyone's toes, never saying the wrong things, never doing anything remotely heebie-ish.

But of course, the extreme form of this is a man that essentially does nothing; A man who takes no action, chooses passiveness over action, and lives his whole life taking no risks. And as much as I don't be That Guy, I really really don't wanna be THIS Guy.

I'd rather just be a man. And do the right thing.

What the right thing is, that's for another entry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home