Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Rhythm

It has gotten to the point where I need to run. Or else I'll go insane.

Last Saturday, I woke up to rain pounding on the bedroom window. I was supposed to run for two hours. Screw that. I'll run on Sunday. That's what I had thought. But I couldn't hold out. I put on an extra layer of clothes, said a little prayer, and charged on through. Of course, half-way through it pours like crazy. It even hailed for a minute. And of course, it stops raining after the run.

I'm not addicted to running. I hate running. I'm getting better at it. I still hate it. I feel better about myself. I still hate it. I've slimmed down considerable and don't feel so guilty eating beef. Still. I hate it.

I hate it because I NEED it. If I skip a day, that's a day lost in training. Basically I'm saying, whatever. I give up. I don't want that.

I also hate it because it has supplanted writing in my normal rhythm of life. Because I get up so early (5:30am, which I guess is normal for runners) that I get tired at night. Which has always been my prime writing time. I'm surprised I've got the energy to write this now.

I'm considering the Rock and Roll Marathon in October. And maybe one in June or July. And maybe, if I get a decent time for the half, the L.A. Marathon in 2011.

WTF is this? What is this crazy talk? It has gotten to the point where I can need to run. Or else my rhythm is thrown. And if there's anything I can't stand, it's being off-rhythm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home