Monday, January 02, 2012

Gluten-Free Challenge: Day 2 - Consult the Guru

So far, so good. Although I was close to eating the regular crackers at Communion on Sunday, but caught myself at the end. There was also a small scare at a friend's place, as I shoved salt-and-pepper kettle chips in my mouth, but K assured me that those were OK. And they were. They had rice flour instead of wheat.

K has essentially become my Gluten-Free Guru. I can't eat anything without consulting her first. And if she doesn't know, then I don't eat it. I'm assuming that everything out there has wheat. Of course, bread has wheat, so pastries, donuts, and cakes are out. Soy sauce has wheat, so no Chinese food for me. Anything with sauces most likely has wheat in it, but K would know more than I would.

Two days in, and I'm OK. I'm not craving a stack of gluten or anything. I've fasted from other foods for longer (red meat, desserts, etc.) but this feels different. There's nothing religious about this one. I'm doing this because this is K's life right now, and her concerns are mine.

Will this turn into a year of gluten-free living? Let's just take this one day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home