Monday, January 16, 2012

Gluten-Free Challenge: Day 16 - I Miss Gluten

I'm halfway through, and nothing much has changed.

I'm still craving snacks at work. I found out that Funyuns are gluten-free (Huzzah!). Though I've been bringing my own snacks. Usually K-approved mixed nuts. Sometimes Clif bars. I bring my lunch every day. Usually leftovers. Sometimes a sandwich.

Now, you're probably wondering how can I eat a sandwich. They make gluten-free bread. We get the Trader Joe's brand. It's made from brown rice flour. And, between you and me, it's questionable. The bread just crumbles in my hands as I eat it. It appears to take an extra long time to eat a simple turkey and cheese sandwich. This, by far, is the most depressing aspect of going gluten-free. Which isn't SO bad, but I'm just nitpicking.

K has been cooking more, because she it's just easier for her to control what she eats. She found a recipe for Pumpkin Mac and Cheese. It was originally with regular, gluten-filled ingredients, so she made some changes. Last week, I had Pumpkin Mac and Cheese for four straight meals. I'd probably eat it for longer if there were more.

We still can go out once in a while. We went to Pampas Grill last night at the Farmers Market by The Grove. Brazilian food is usually OK. The food was great! And K survived! Seriously, it's an adventure when we go out. I stare at her for a minute to make sure she's OK. I check her vital signs and administer an IV drip when needed. Kidding about that last part.

I do miss gluten though. Well, gluten-rich stuff like donuts and cheese bread. I forget sometimes why I'm doing this. I do this because I love my wife and want to support her and her lifestyle. But yeah, come February 1, I'm walking to Vons, buying a loaf of Wonder bread, and eating the thing whole.

(Just kidding, K!)

1 Comments:

Blogger TheNeedyMother said...

You're a great hubby for doing this, E! Trader Joe's makes a wonderful brown rice pasta (g-free!) and also g-free granola. I know neither of them are like, a donut, or something but... there you have it. Good luck!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home